This light version of the classic make-ahead breakfast casserole is a delicious and healthy way to start your day. With lean ground pork and egg beaters, it’s packed with protein and plenty of flavor. And because it can be made ahead and refrigerated overnight, all you have to do is pop it in the oven come morning and you’ve got a hearty and delicious breakfast!
For 1 people
- 3/4 pound pound - Lean ground pork
- 3/4 teaspoon teaspoon - Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon teaspoon - Crushed fennel seeds
- 2 cloves - Minced garlic
- 1 cup cup - Skim milk
- 16 ounces ounces - Thawed egg beaters(r) 99% egg substitute
- 1/4 cup cup - Shredded Cheddar cheese (1 ounce)
- 3 - Chopped green onions
- 3/4 teaspoon teaspoon - Dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon teaspoon - Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon teaspoon - Ground red pepper
- 6 slices slices - White bread (1 ounce each) cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Cherry tomatoes (optional)
- Green onion tops (optional)
- Coat a skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat until hot. Add the ground pork, Italian seasoning, fennel seeds, and garlic; cook until the meat is browned, stirring to crumble the meat. Drain in a colander; pat dry with paper towels and set aside.
- Combine the milk, egg beaters, Cheddar cheese, green onions, dry mustard, salt, and ground red pepper in a large bowl; stir well. Add the pork mixture and bread cubes, stirring just until well blended.
- Pour the mixture into an 11- x 7- x 2-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 8 to 12 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Uncover the dish and bake for 50 minutes or until set and lightly browned. Garnish with tomatoes and onion tops, if desired.
This make-ahead breakfast casserole is an easy and delicious way to enjoy a healthy breakfast. You can make it ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator until ready to bake, leaving you with more time to enjoy your morning. It’s also perfect for gatherings and special occasions as it makes quite a bit!