These tender and fluffy Whole Grain Buttermilk Waffles are practically fat free. Enjoy them for breakfast with a variety of sauces to make them as sweet or tart as you like. The buckwheat flour, rolled oats and butter granules add a delicious richness to the waffles, making them a great start to your day.
For 6 people
- 1/4 cup - Millet, uncooked
- 2/3 cup - Unbleached flour, all-purpose
- 2 tablespoons - Whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup - Rolled oats
- 1/4 cup - Buckwheat flour
- 1 tablespoon - Baking powder
- 1 tablespoon - Butter granules
- 1/4 teaspoon - Salt
- 1 pinch - Baking soda
- 1 pinch - Ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons - Firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon - Granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups - Lowfat buttermilk
- 3/4 cup - Liquid egg substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon - Vanilla extract
- 1 spray - Vegetable cooking spray, to coat waffle iron
- Grind the millet in a blender until the kernels are at least half their original size. Place them in a large mixing bowl with the other ingredients except the buttermilk, egg substitute and vanilla, and stir until completely blended.
- Add the buttermilk, egg substitute and vanilla and stir until thoroughly blended.
- Coat the waffle iron with a light film of vegetable spray. Heat the waffle iron and cook the waffles according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Stir the batter and spray the grids of the iron to prevent the waffles from sticking between each batch.
- Keep each batch warm and when they are all cooked, serve immediately with the sauce.
These Whole Grain Buttermilk Waffles are a great way to start your day. They are full of nutrition without being a heavy meal. Make them with a variety of sauces to make them as sweet or tart as you like. Enjoy them with your favorite toppings to make the perfect breakfast!