This spaghetti squash and zucchini casserole is a nutritious and delicious meal for the whole family. It’s easy to make, vegan, and vegetarian friendly. Plus, it’s a great way to enjoy seasonal vegetables. The combination of spaghetti squash and zucchini are complemented by a simple tomato sauce. This dish is perfect when served over hot cooked spaghetti.
- 1 - Spaghetti Squash
- 1 Med - Zucchini - grated
- 1 C - Tomato Sauce
- 1 tsp - Dried Basil - finely chopped
- 1 tsp - Dried Oregano - crushed
- 1 tsp - Garlic Powder - or 2 cloves fresh
- 0.25 tsp - Black Pepper
- 0.25 tsp - Salt - optional
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half length-wise and scrape out the seeds, but do not cut into the body of the squash.
- Stovetop: Place half squash cut side down in a pot with 2" (5 cm) water, cover and boil for 20 minutes. Microwave: Place half squash in a dish with 1/4 cup water, cover with plastic wrap and cook at high (>600 watts) for 7 minutes.
- Scrape out the squash to produce spaghetti-like strands. A thin, hard shell will be left.
- In a large bowl, mix together the spaghetti squash, tomato sauce, grated zucchini and spices.
- Spoon the mixture into the squash shell (or a casserole dish) and top with nutritional yeast and garlic powder (and, if desired, non-fat grated parmesan cheese).
- Bake at 350 degrees F. (175 C.) for 20 minutes or until done.
This dish is perfect served over hot cooked spaghetti, but can also be served with brown rice and fresh non-fat French Bread. It can also be used as a filling for a pita pocket or tortilla. This recipe was adapted from a sticker attached to a spaghetti squash by Linden Associated Growers, Linden, CA and is perfect for a healthy and delicious meal for the whole family.