Noodle kugel is a classic Jewish dish that can be enjoyed for breakfast, brunch, or as a sweet dessert. This version is low in fat and full of delicious flavors like crushed pineapple and cinnamon. Prepared with Egg beaters and nonfat sour cream, it’s suitable for vegetarian and health-conscious diets. It’s also a great way to use up stale noodles or leftover egg whites.
For 12 people
- 12 ounces - No-yolk wide noodles
- 2 cups - Nonfat cottage cheese
- 2 cups - Nonfat sour cream
- 0.5 cup - Unsweetened apple juice concentrate (Substitute sugar)
- 3 - Extra-large egg whites - slightly beaten
- 0.5 cup - Egg beaters(r) 99% egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon - Pure vanilla extract
- 16 ounces - Crushed pineapple in natural juice - canned
- 2 tablespoons - Ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons - Melted light margarine (OR 1-tbs pine nuts - optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and coat a 13-by-9-by-2-inch glass baking dish or a 3-quart oval casserole with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring 5 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Gradually add the noodles and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the cottage cheese, sour cream, apple juice concentrate, egg whites, Egg Beaters, and vanilla extract. Process until smooth.
- Drain the noodles and return them to the pot. Add the cottage cheese mixture and pineapple with juice. Blend together with a slotted spoon.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking dish and sprinkle with cinnamon. Drizzle with melted margarine or pine nuts, if desired.
- Bake in the upper third of the oven for 1 hour or until lightly browned. Cut into 12 squares and top with nonfat sour cream, if desired.
- Optional: Mix 1 cup of fresh or frozen unsweetened blueberries with 1 cup of blueberry pie filling. Spoon onto the kugel before the last 10 minutes of cooking time.
This delicious noodle kugel is a great way to enjoy a traditional Jewish dish with a healthier twist. It’s low in fat, full of flavor, and can be enjoyed for breakfast, brunch, or as a sweet dessert. Serve it with nonfat sour cream for even more flavor, or add a bit of extra sweetness with a mix of fresh or frozen blueberries and blueberry pie filling.