A traditional Moroccan dish, Lamb and Pear Tagine is a savory and healthy meal. It’s made with cubed lamb, pears, onions, almonds, spices, and a hint of honey. The combination of flavors and textures create a unique dish that is the perfect combination of sweet and savory. You won’t be disappointed when you try this delicious and easy to make dish!
For 2 people
- 2 medium - Onions
- 1 tablespoon - Olive oil
- 6 ounces - Lamb, cubed
- 1 tablespoon - Madeira
- 0.5 teaspoon - Ground cumin
- 0.5 teaspoon - Ground coriander
- 0.5 teaspoon - Grated gingerroot
- 0.25 teaspoon - Ground cinnamon
- 0.5 teaspoon - Ground black pepper
- 1.5 cups - Cold water
- 1 teaspoon - Honey
- 1 large - Bosc pear
- 0.25 cup - Golden seedless raisins or sultanas
- 2 tablespoons - Slivered almonds
- 1.5 cups - Cooked rice
- 1 teaspoon - Chopped fresh basil
- 1.33 cups - Sliced carrots
- In a large saucepan, gently fry the onion in the olive oil until soft and sweet, about 20 minutes. Add the cubed lamb to the pan and cook until it changes color.
- Add all of the spices: cumin, coriander, gingerroot, cinnamon, pepper. Stir until the spices are warmed and dry.
- Pour in the Madeira and let it burn off quickly. Then pour in the cold water to just cover the meat. Cover the saucepan and simmer gently until the meat is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Uncover the saucepan, then add the pear chunks, sultanas, almonds, and honey. Simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes until the pears are tender but not too soft.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper. If the sauce appears too thin, thicken it with arrowroot or potato starch.
- Serve the tagine over cooked rice mixed with the chopped basil and steamed carrots on the side.
This Lamb and Pear Tagine is an easy and delicious dish to make. With a combination of savory and sweet flavors, it is a unique and flavorful experience. You can also make this dish healthier with the added bonus of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants from the vegetables and fruit. With this dish, you can be confident that you are providing your family with a nutritious and enjoyable meal.