Fougasse is a traditional French flatbread that has been adapted to include a variety of delicious toppings. This recipe takes it to the next level with the addition of olives, capers, herbs and more. It’s a perfect accompaniment to any meal, and will be sure to impress your guests.
For 5 people
- 1 1/2 pounds - Basic Bread Dough
- 1 tablespoon - Olive Oil or Honey
- 1/4 cup - Capers
- 1/4 cup - Olives
- 1/4 cup - Fresh Herbs (such as Thyme, Rosemary, and Basil)
- 1 tablespoon - Coarse Cornmeal
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Punch down the prepared dough and divide it into 5 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll each ball of dough into an 8-by-5-inch rectangle. Using a pastry scraper, cut 3 or 4 lengthwise slashes into the bread.
- Sprinkle a baking sheet with coarse cornmeal, and carefully transfer the rectangles of dough to the baking sheet. Gently pull apart at the slashes. Cover with a clean towel, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Assemble the fougasse: Brush lightly with olive oil, then sprinkle with preferred toppings like olives, herbs, oil-marinated capers, candied orange peel and granulated sugar, herbes de Provence, or aniseed. Reduce oven temperature to 450 degrees, and bake until golden and crusty, 25 to 30 minutes.
Serve the delicious Herb-Infused Fougasse Bread warm with a side of your favorite sauce and a fresh green salad. Enjoy the delicious flavors and textures, and be sure to impress your guests with this delicious, easy-to-make meal. Bon appétit!