This healthy take on the classic Chicken N Macaroni Bake is sure to be a hit with your family! The creamy and delicious casserole is made with skinless boneless chicken breast, onions, tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese, basil, macaroni and cheese dinner, reduced fat margarine, unbleached flour, skim milk and egg whites. Not only is it a great comfort food, but it’s also healthier than the original version. Serve it up with a side salad for a complete meal. It’s the perfect dinner to make on a weeknight or anytime you need something quick yet tasty.
For 6 people
- 0.5 teaspoon - Olive oil
- 1 pound - Skinless boneless chicken breast
- 0.5 cup - Onions
- 15 ounces - Tomato sauce
- 0.5 cup - Nonfat Parmesan cheese
- 0.5 teaspoon - Basil
- 14 ounces - Macaroni and cheese dinner
- 1 tablespoon - Reduced fat margarine
- 2 tablespoons - Unbleached flour
- 1.5 cup - Skim milk
- 2 whole - Egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken and onions. Cook until chicken is no longer pink and onions are tender.
- Stir in tomato sauce, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and basil. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Prepare macaroni and cheese dinner according to package directions (I use skim milk and fat-free spread).
- Spread chicken mixture onto bottom of prepared pan. Top with macaroni dinner.
- Meanwhile melt margarine in saucepan on low heat. Blend in flour. Gradually add milk; cook, stirring constantly, on low heat until thickened.
- Stir small amount of hot mixture into egg whites; return to hot mixture. Pour over dinner; sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown.
This healthy Chicken N Macaroni Bake is a delicious and comforting meal that is ready in no time. The creamy casserole is packed with flavor from the boneless chicken breast, onions, tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese and basil. And the addition of skim milk, reduced fat margarine and egg whites makes it a healthier option than the original. Serve it with a side salad for a delicious and nutritious weeknight dinner. Enjoy!