If you’re looking for a sweet treat that won’t derail your diet, this delicious diabetic lemon cream pie is for you! Made with a light and flaky crust, a refreshingly light and airy lemon custard filling and topped with fluffy whipped topping, it is a delicious guilt-free dessert perfect for any occasion. So, let’s get cooking!
- 1 cup - All-purpose flour
- 0.25 cup - Diet margarine
- 3 tablespoons - Cold water
- 3 - Egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon - Cornstarch
- 1 - Unflavored gelatin envelope
- 0.75 cup - Lemon juice
- 0.75 cup - Boiling water
- 1 tablespoon - Lemon rind, grated
- 1 tablespoon - Diet margarine
- Substitute - Sugar substitute (equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar)
- 2 - Egg whites
- 1 - Cool Whip Lite
- 0.5 cup - Skim milk
- 1 - Lemon, thinly sliced
- In a food processor, combine the flour and margarine. Pulse until coarse crumbs form. Add the cold water and blend until the mixture forms into a ball. Roll out the dough onto a lightly floured surface to a 12-inch circle. Line a 9-inch pie plate with the dough and trim the edges. Cover the pastry with a 9-inch circle of waxed paper and prick holes in the paper and pastry with a fork. Place dried beans or rice on the waxed paper and bake in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes. Remove the beans and paper and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool.
- In a food processor or blender, blend the egg yolks, cornstarch, gelatin, and lemon juice together. Add the boiling water and mix until thoroughly blended. Add the grated lemon rind and margarine. Pour the mixture into a small pan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened. Allow to cool slightly then stir in the sugar substitute. Pour into the cooled pastry and chill for at least 2 hours.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry peaks form. Prepare the whipped topping according to the package directions, substituting milk for water. Gently fold in the egg whites. Spread the topping over the chilled custard and garnish with lemon slices. Serve immediately.
This light and delicious diabetic-friendly lemon cream pie is sure to be a hit with everyone! With a flaky crust, a light and airy lemon custard filling and a fluffy topping, it is a guilt-free treat that is bursting with flavor. Serve it with a cup of hot tea or coffee and enjoy the perfect sweet ending to any meal!