This is a delicious vegan adaptation of a traditional Burgers & Loaves dish. Red Bean and Mushroom Burgers are an ideal way to make something hearty, unique and healthy to serve at your next family BBQ. The original recipe was adapted from the Perfect Barbecue Book: Creative Recipes for Outdoor Cooking and serves 4.
- 1 Tablespoon - Olive oil
- 1 Small - Onion - finely chopped
- 1 Clove - Garlic - crushed
- 1 Teaspoon - Ground cumin
- 1 Teaspoon - Ground coriander
- 1/2 Teaspoon - Ground turmeric
- 1 Cup - Mushrooms - finely chopped
- 14 Ounces - Canned red kidney beans
- 2 Tablespoons - Chopped fresh cilantro
- Whole-wheat flour (optional)
- Olive oil - for brushing
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 4 - Pita bread - warmed
- Lettuce leaves
- 12 - Cherry tomatoes
- Heat the oil in a wide, shallow pan. Fry the onion and garlic over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until softened. Add the spices and cook for 1 more minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the mushrooms. Raise the heat and cook for about 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until they are tender and dry. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Drain the beans, transfer them to a bowl and mash with a fork. Add to the mushroom mixture, with the fresh cilantro, mixing thoroughly. Season with plenty of salt and pepper.
- With floured hands, form the mixture into four flat burgers. If the mixture is too sticky to handle, mix in a little whole-wheat flour. Brush the burgers lightly with oil and cook on a hot barbecue for 8-10 minutes, turning once, until golden brown. Season to taste. These burgers are not as firm as meat burgers, so handle them gently on the barbecue. Serve with warmed pita bread, lettuce and cherry tomatoes. A spoonful of plain yogurt can be an added accompaniment.
- If the pattie mixture is too soft, refrigerate or freeze for 15 to 60 minutes until firm.
These Red Bean and Mushroom Burgers are a fantastic addition to any BBQ. Serve alongside a selection of your favorite accompaniments for a delicious vegan and vegetarian friendly meal that everyone can enjoy. Be sure to refrigerate the burger mix before cooking, to ensure the burgers hold their shape on the BBQ. For more delicious vegan recipes, check out our website!