If you’re looking for an easy and delicious dinner the whole family will love, look no further than this Chicken Enchilada Casserole. It’s a great way to use up leftover chicken and is a much lighter alternative to traditional enchiladas. The combination of ingredients creates a flavorful dish that is sure to have everyone coming back for seconds. Plus, it’s easy to prepare and can be made ahead of time for a quick weeknight dinner. So let’s get cooking!
For 1 people
- 1 1/4 lbs - Chicken breast
- 1 1/2 cups - Chopped onion
- 1/2 cup - Beer
- 1/4 teaspoon - Ground red pepper
- 1 can - Whole tomatoes
- 1/2 cup - Thinly sliced green onions
- 1 can - Ripe olives
- 2 cans - Green chili peppers
- 5 tablespoons - All-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon - Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon - Ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon - Ground coriander
- 2 cups - 1% low-fat milk
- 2 large - Egg whites
- 3/4 cup - Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 3/4 cup - Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup - Fat-free sour cream
- 1/2 cup - Salsa
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat until hot. Add chicken; cook 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from skillet; let cool. Shred chicken with 2 forks; set aside.
- Recoat skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 5 minutes or until tender. Add shredded chicken, beer, red pepper, and tomatoes; cook 10 minutes or until most of liquid evaporates. Remove from heat. Reserve 1 tablespoon green onions and 1 tablespoon olives for garnish. Stir remaining green onions, remaining olives, and chiles into chicken mixture; set aside.
- Combine flour, salt, cumin, and coriander in a medium saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Place over medium heat; cook 7 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Gradually add hot milk mixture to egg whites, stirring constantly with whisk. Set aside.
- Place cheeses in a bowl; toss well. Set aside.
- Spread 1/2 cup white sauce in bottom of a 2 1/2 quart round casserole or souffle dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 4 tortilla halves over sauce; top with 2 cups chicken mixture, 1/2 cup white sauce, and 1/2 up cheese mixture. Repeat layers twice, ending with sauce. Set remaining 1/2 cup cheese mixture aside.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 40 minutes or until hot. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese mixture, reserved green onions, and reserved olives; bake an additional 5 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve with sour cream and salsa. Yield: 8 servings.
- NOTE: You can assemble the casserole ahead of time; cover and chill in the refrigerator overnight, then bake at 350 for 1 hour or until bubbly. Or freeze casserole, thaw in refrigerator 24 hours, then bake for 1 hour or until thoroughly heated.
This Chicken Enchilada Casserole was worth every minute of preparation and was delicious! It was a hit with the whole family and is sure to become a regular on the dinner table. Enjoy this easy to make and flavorful dish for a quick and satisfying weeknight meal!