This curried celery soup is a delicious and healthy meal. It’s full of fresh vegetables and herbs, and has a mild curry flavor. With just a few simple ingredients and steps, you can have a flavorful and nourishing meal in no time. Plus, with the addition of a 4 ounce can of diced green chili, you can give it some more zip!
For 6 people
- 2 teaspoons - Olive oil
- 1 - Onion, chopped
- 1 - Leek, washed and sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds - Celery, chopped with leaves reserved
- 1 tablespoon - Curry powder, such as Madras or a milder yellow curry
- 8 ounces - Potatoes, chopped with peel left on
- 4 cups - Vegetable stock
- 1 - Bouquet garni
- 2 tablespoons - Chopped fresh mixed herbs
- Celery seeds and leaves, for garnish
- 4 ounces - Can of diced green chili (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the chopped onion, leek, and celery. Cover the pan and cook gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the curry powder and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped potatoes, vegetable stock, and bouquet garni. Cover the pan and bring the soup to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove and discard the bouquet garni. Set the soup aside to cool slightly and then puree in a food processor or blender. If using an immersion blender, the soup does not need to cool.
- Puree until smooth. Add the mixed herbs, season to taste, and process briefly. Return the soup to the saucepan and reheat gently until piping hot.
- Ladle the soup into soup bowls and garnish each bowl with a sprinkling of celery seeds and some celery leaves.
This curried celery soup is a great way to add some flavor and nutrition to your meal. You can also substitute celeriac and sweet potatoes for the celery and standard potatoes if you want to mix it up. Enjoy your flavorful and nourishing meal!