Wassailing is an ancient tradition of caroling from door to door while enjoying a hot, spiced mulled cider. In the 17th century, the wassail bowl made its debut and soon became a staple of the holiday season. Today, wassail is commonly used to describe a hot punch or beverage that is typically made with seasonal spices and served hot. This traditional wassail recipe is a special holiday treat that everyone can enjoy. It combines ale, nutmeg, ginger, grated lemon peel, eggs, powdered sugar and rum or brandy to create a truly special and warming beverage. It’s perfect to enjoy during the holiday season, or anytime you just want to cozy up with something warm and festive!
For 1 people
- 1 Quart - Ale (or beer if you must)
- Grated lemon peel
- 3 - Eggs
- 4 oz. - Powdered sugar
- 1 Quart - Rum or brandy
- Heat ale to almost boiling with spices.
- Beat eggs with sugar while ale is heating up.
- Combine both into a large pitcher.
- Pour rum or brandy into another large pitcher and turn from one to another until mixed well.
- Pour the mixture into a holiday wreathed wassail bowl or punch bowl.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Wassail is the perfect beverage to cozy up with during the holidays, or anytime you just want to enjoy something festive. So gather your ingredients and make a batch of this traditional wassail for your next gathering. You can even customize it to fit your own taste by adding additional spices, fruit or other flavorings. Whatever you choose, you’re sure to enjoy a delicious and warming beverage that your family and friends will love!