Add a little bit of south-of-the-border flair to your vegan meal with these Southwestern-Style Black Bean Cakes. Filled with delicious black beans and packed with flavor, these vegan black bean cakes are sure to please even the pickiest of eaters. Top it off with a spicy tomato sauce and you have a meal your family will love.
For 6 people
- 2 cups - Chopped tomatoes
- 0.33 cup - Tomato paste
- 0.25 cup - Chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves - Minced garlic
- 0.5 teaspoon - Hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup - Chopped onions
- 2 cups - Cooked black beans
- 2 tablespoons - Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon - Chili powder
- 0.25 teaspoon - Hot pepper sauce
- 0.25 cup - Yellow cornmeal
- In a blender or food processor, combine the tomatoes, tomato paste, cilantro, garlic, and hot-pepper sauce. Process until smooth. Refrigerate the sauce.
- Coat a 10-inch no-stick skillet with no-stick spray and set over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the onions and garlic. Cook and stir for 3 minutes, or until the onions are soft but not browned. Spoon into a medium bowl.
- Add the beans, Parmesan, chili powder, and hot-pepper sauce. Stir well to combine, then mash with a fork. With your hands, press the bean mixture into 12 cakes about /2-inch thick. Coat the top and bottom of each cake with the cornmeal. Place the cakes on a plate and cover. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Coat a 10-inch no-stick skillet with no-stick spray and set over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the cakes. Cook in batches, if necessary, to avoid crowding. Cook for 3 minutes. Turn and cook for 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Top with the sauce.
- To freeze, place the bean cakes on a tray and put in the freezer for several hours, or until solid. Transfer to a freezer-quality plastic bag. Pack the sauce in a freezer-quality plastic container.
- To use, thaw both overnight in the refrigerator. Bring the sauce to room temperature. Reheat the cakes, in a covered 10-inch no-stick skillet over medium heat for 15 minutes, or until hot.
Southwestern-Style Black Bean Cakes are a delicious vegan meal that is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters. With a spicy tomato sauce, these cakes are full of flavor and can be enjoyed as is or frozen for later enjoyment. Try them today for a vegan meal your family will love!