- 1 cup - Chopped onion
- 1/2 cup - Chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup - Chopped celery
- 1/4 cup - Chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons - Dry brown roux
- 1/2 cup - Water
- 3 cloves - Garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon - Thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon - Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch - Cayenne
- 6 ounces - Raw shrimp
- 1 1/2 cups - Hot cooked rice
- In a saucepan over high heat, cook the onion, green onion, celery, and bell pepper, stirring frequently, until the vegetables color slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Add all seasonings and simmer slowly for 20 minutes.
- Just before serving, add the shrimp and cook for 2 minutes, or just until they turn pink and are hot.
- Spoon the rice into warm serving dishes or bowls and ladle the Shrimp Etouffee over.
- Enjoy your Shrimp Etouffee with a side of hot cooked rice or as a topping for baked fish fillets.
Shrimp Etouffee is a delicious and flavorful dish from Louisiana. It’s a simple to make, yet filling meal that can be served as a main dish or side dish. With its combination of shrimp, onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic, thyme, and pepper, all simmered together in a creamy roux, it’s sure to be a hit at any meal. Whether you serve it over rice or as a topping for fish, you’ll be sure to enjoy the delicious flavor of this classic Cajun and Creole dish!