This delicious soup is packed with protein and fiber, making it a hearty and healthy meal to keep you warm and full on a cold winter night. Featuring lentils, Swiss chard, and flavorful broth, this soup is sure to be a crowd pleaser. The Parmesan cheese topping adds a savory finish to the comforting soup.
For 6 people
- 1 tablespoon - Olive oil
- 1 medium - Onion, chopped
- 1 stalk - Celery, chopped
- 1 medium - Carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove - Garlic, minced
- 2.5 cups - Canned tomatoes
- 10 ounces - Lentils, green (1.5 cups)
- 6 cups - Chicken stock or water
- 1 pound - Swiss chard, sliced 0.5 inch thick
- 1 pinch - Salt, to taste
- 1 pinch - Pepper, to taste
- 6 teaspoons - Parmesan cheese
- 6 ounces - Lean ham, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery and carrot. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in lentils and stock or water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 45 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
- Add Swiss chard, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 5 minutes, or until chard is wilted.
- Serve in shallow bowls topped with 1 teaspoon of Parmesan.
This delicious soup is a great way to warm up on a chilly day and get your daily dose of nutrients. Featuring lentils, Swiss chard, and flavorful broth, this soup comes together in under an hour and is sure to delight your taste buds. Enjoy with a side of crusty bread and a glass of wine for the perfect winter meal.