Rosh Hashanah is a special time of year for celebrating with family and friends, and it’s the perfect time to enjoy delightful dishes. A traditional Jewish dish is ‘gelt’, usually made with potatoes and carrots. This recipe takes a twist on the classic by adding apricots for a unique sweet and savory flavor. Enjoy this delicious gelt with your family and friends this Rosh Hashanah, and make sure to share the recipe with them!
For 8 people
- 2 lbs - Carrots, peeled & sliced
- 3 tablespoons - Nonfat chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons - Orange juice
- 2 teaspoons - Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon - Ground cinnamon
- 10 - Dried apricots, slivered
- Place carrots in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain carrots and rinse under cold water.
- Heat nonfat chicken broth in a non-stick skillet. Add the carrots and orange juice. Mix together sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle it over the carrots.
- Cook the carrots until they are glazed and the sauce is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in apricot slivers and cook for a few minutes more.
- Serve the dish at once and enjoy with family and friends.
This gelt recipe is easy to make and is a great addition to any holiday meal. It is the perfect side dish to serve for Rosh Hashanah and will be sure to impress your friends and family. Enjoy this delicious and flavorful dish and have a sweet and prosperous New Year!