There’s nothing better than a warm, hearty soup on a cold day. This chicken and rice soup is perfect for those occasions. Made with simple and fresh ingredients, it’s ready in just 30 minutes, making it an easy soup to whip up on a weeknight. The combination of chicken, onion, celery, carrots, parsley, pepper, thyme, bay leaf, and lime juice gives it an amazing flavor. Serve it with a few lime slices for a pop of color and a little extra flavor.
For 8 people
- 10 cups - Fat-free chicken broth
- 1 medium - Onion - chopped
- 1 cup - Sliced celery
- 1 cup - Sliced carrots
- 0.25 cup - Snipped parsley
- 0.5 teaspoon - Cracked black pepper
- 0.5 teaspoon - Dried thryme leaves
- 1 unit - Bay leaf
- 0.75 pound - Chicken breast - cubed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups - Cooked quick-cooking rice
- 2 tablespoons - Lime juice
- 1 unit - Lime slices - for garnish
- Combine the broth, onions, celery, carrots, parsley, pepper, thyme, and bay leaf in a large, heavy pot. Bring to a boil, stirring once or twice.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken; simmer, uncovered, until chicken is cooked, 5 to 10 minutes. Discard the bay leaf.
- Stir in the rice and lime juice just before serving. Garnish with lime slices.
- Serve and enjoy!
This tasty chicken and rice soup is a great way to warm up on a cold day. It’s ready in 30 minutes or less, making it a perfect weeknight meal. Plus, the combination of flavors makes it a real crowd-pleaser. Serve the soup with some freshly-baked crusty bread for a complete meal. Enjoy!