This healthy scalloped potatoes recipe is a delicious twist on a classic dish. It has the sweetness of sun-ripened summer harvest, and the richness of a hot and satisfying soup. Don Schonnop, a father of four, contributed this recipe that is sure to become a family favorite.
For 1 people
- 3 tablespoons - Vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup - Chopped onion
- 1/4 cup - Flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon - Paprika
- 2 teaspoons - Minced thyme
- 2 cups - Skim milk
- 2 pounds - Russet potatoes
- -- peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons - Fresh parsley
- Additional paprika
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 2 quart casserole.
- In a skillet, sauté the onion in the oil until soft.
- Mix in the flour, salt, pepper, paprika, thyme, and milk. Cook until the sauce comes to a boil and thickens.
- Layer the potatoes in the casserole, placing a small amount of sauce in between each layer. Pour the remaining sauce over the top, and cover the dish.
- Bake for 75 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the top is nicely browned.
- Sprinkle the top with additional paprika and parsley before serving.
This scalloped potatoes recipe is a healthy and hearty meal for lunch or dinner. Enjoy this comforting dish with friends and family, knowing that you are serving them a nutritious and flavorful meal.