Enchiladas are a classic Mexican dish with endless possibilities. This vegan version is filled with roasted vegetables and mashed potatoes, providing delicious flavor and crunch. Topped with enchilada sauce and cheese, they are the perfect weeknight dinner that is easy to make and healthy too. Plus, you can customize the ingredients to match your family’s preferences.
- 1 head - Broccoli
- 1 whole - Button mushrooms
- 3 small - Zucchini
- 2 cups - Chopped carrots
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups - Water
- 1.25 cups - Skim milk
- 1 package - Butter Buds
- 1 cup - Instant potatoes
- 1 package - Corn tortillas
- 3 cups - Enchilada sauce
- 8 ounces - Nonfat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini, and carrots. Spray with vegetable cooking spray and season with salt and pepper. Spread vegetables in a single layer on a jellyroll pan.
- Roast vegetables in the 425°F (220°C) oven for 30 to 40 minutes; stir halfway through cooking time. When finished cooking, remove from the oven and reduce the oven's heat to 350°F (175°C).
- Bring water, milk and butter or margarine to a boil in a large pot. Remove from the heat and mix in the mashed potato mix. Let stand two minutes, then stir the mashed potatoes with a fork until they are smooth. In a large bowl, mix potatoes and roasted vegetables together.
- Heat a tortilla in a dry nonstick skillet over medium heat briefly on both sides to make it pliable. Dip the tortillas in enchilada sauce, then place the tortilla on a plate to assemble. Put a large spoonful (approximately 1/4 to 1/3 cup) of potato-veggie mixture into the center of the tortilla. Top with about 1 to 2 tablespoons of cheese, and roll the tortilla up. Place rolls seam-side down in the baking dish, and repeat this process until all of the enchiladas are rolled. Pour extra sauce over top and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for approximately 20 to 30 minutes, until the enchiladas are heated through.
These roasted vegetable and mashed potato enchiladas are sure to please everyone in your family. With the right ingredients, they can easily be tailored to suit all tastes. They are vegan and full of flavor, so you can feel good about serving them. Enjoy!