Don’t let the ingredient list fool you; this delicious pasta dish is super simple to make! It’s a great way to make a quick and healthy dinner for any night of the week. The balsamic glaze adds a wonderful flavor to the vegetables and rotini pasta. Serve it with a side salad or as a main dish.
For 4 people
- 8 ounces - Rotini pasta
- 1 teaspoon - Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large - Onion
- 8 ounces - Sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons - Minced garlic
- 0.5 cup - Balsamic vinegar
- 0.5 teaspoon - Dried thyme
- 3 - Plum tomatoes
- 0.5 cup - Fresh parsley leaves
- 0.25 cup - Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Salt and black pepper (to taste)
- Bring 2 1/2 quarts of water to a boil in a 4 1/2-quart Dutch oven or soup pot. Add the pasta and cook until tender, 9 to 11 minutes.
- Pour the olive oil into a 12inch, nonstick skillet. Peel and coarsely chop the onion, adding it to the skillet as you chop. Cook until the onion begins to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms release their liquid, about 4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the vinegar and thyme and simmer 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, core the tomatoes and coarsely chop them, and place them a 3-quart or larger serving bowl. If using the parsley, coarsely chop it and add it to the bowl. Set aside.
- When the vegetables have simmered, pour the sauce into the serving bowl. Drain the pasta, add it to the bowl along with the Parmesan cheese, and stir to coat the pasta with sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve at once, passing extra Parmesan cheese at the table, if desired.
This dish is a great way to make an easy and healthy meal for your family. The balsamic glaze gives it a great flavor, and the combination of vegetables and rotini pasta makes it a well-rounded meal. Serve it as a main dish or as a side to your favorite entrée. Enjoy!