This delicious, low-fat wild rice and mushroom soup is the perfect meal for lunch or dinner. Quick and easy to make, it’s a great vegetarian dish packed full of flavor. The addition of sherry, half and half and butter really brings out the flavor and it’s perfect for a cosy night in!
For 7 people
- 3 1/4 cups - Fat-skimmed chicken broth or beef broth -- divided use
- 1/4 cup - Wild rice
- 1 cup - Dried shiitake mushrooms (1-oz)
- 1 1/2 cups - Hot water
- 2 tablespoons - Butter or margarine -- divided use
- 8 ounces - Onion -- peeled and chopped
- 8 ounces - Sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon - Minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon - Dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon - Dried thyme
- 1/2 pound - Russet potatoes -- peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup - Dry sherry
- 1/2 cup - Half and half
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh parsley -- optional garnish
- In a 1- to 2-quart pan, bring 1+1/4 cups broth and rice to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until rice is just tender to bite, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, soak shiitake mushrooms in hot water until pliable, about 20 minutes. Squeeze mushrooms in water to loosen grit. Lift out mushrooms, reserving liquid. Cut off and discard stems, then thinly slice caps.
- In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir shiitakes in 1 tablespoon butter until golden brown, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer shiitakes to a small bowl.
- To a large pan, add remaining tablespoon butter, onion, sliced (domestic) mushrooms, garlic, rosemary, and thyme; stir often until vegetables are gold, about 10 minutes.
- Carefully pour shiitake soaking liquid into pan, discarding grit in bottom of bowl. To pan, add potato and remaining 2 cups broth. Cover, bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer, until potato mashes easily when pressed, about 20 minutes.
- In a blender, whirl soup, a portion at a time, until very smooth. Return to pan. Add shiitakes, wild rice with liquid, sherry, and half and half or cream. Stir often over high heat until hot, about 2 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish soup with parsley. Makes 7 cups. PER CUP 165 cals, 25% cals from fat (6g total fat). Analyzed by Mastercook.
Enjoy a delicious and flavorful wild rice and mushroom soup as a tasty lunch or dinner. This low-fat and vegetarian dish is great for a cosy night in, and can even be packed into a thermos and taken on the go. This creamy and enjoyable soup is sure to be loved by everyone!