For a satisfying and delicious vegan meal, try this miso rice pilaf with collard greens! It’s made with vegetable oil, onions, collard greens, brown rice, miso and water. Plus, it’s low in fat, vegan and vegetarian-friendly. Serve with a side of cornbread and you’ve got yourself a meal. If you don’t have brown rice, white rice works too but you’ll need to reduce the cooking time.
For 4 people
- 2 teaspoons - Vegetable oil
- 1 - Onion, chopped
- 1.5 cups - Collard greens or kale, cleaned and chopped
- 0.66 cup - Brown rice
- 2 teaspoons - Miso
- 1.5 cups - Water
- In a medium saucepan, heat the vegetable oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring as needed, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the collards/kale (if using) and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Add the rice and water and bring to a boil. Stir in the chard or spinach (if using). Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, 35-40 minutes.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the miso in 2 tablespoons of water and stir as needed. Gently stir the mixture into the rice.
When done, serve this vegan miso rice pilaf with collard greens and enjoy! It provides a nutrient-rich meal that’s low in fat and full of flavour. If you’re looking for a similar recipe, try Weight Watchers Versatile Vegetarian. Bon appetit!