This delicious and easy to make potato and sausage soup with fennel is the perfect meal for a cold winter’s night. It’s packed with nourishing ingredients like sausage, onion, garlic, potatoes, fennel, and tarragon. The ingredients are all natural and don’t require too much cooking time. It’s a great way to impress your family and friends and is sure to be a hit!
- 4 ounces - Light sausage
- 1/2 cup diced - Onion - red and/or white
- 1 teaspoon - Olive oil
- 2 cloves - Garlic - smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground - Pepper
- 1 pound - Potatoes - 1/2" cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped - Fennel stalks - with tops
- 1 teaspoon - Bacos(r) LF - optional
- 4 cups - Water - or vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons - Chicken base - low salt
- 1 sprig - Tarragon - left whole
- 1/4 cup shredded - Cabbage - or kale
- 1/4 cup chopped - Spinach - leaves only
- 1 teaspoon - Fresh oregano - chopped
- 1 cup - Water - as needed
- 2 tablespoons - Evaporated skim milk - or nonfat dry milk - optional
- Parmesan cheese - freshly grated
- In a nonstick large saucepan, brown the sausage. Remove and let cool. Coarsely chop.
- While the sausage cools, brown the onion in olive oil, stirring frequently until soft and sweet. Add garlic and pepper.
- Add the potatoes, fennel stalks, and bacon bits. Stir to warm.
- Then add the water or broth. Season with bouillon base and a sprig of tarragon. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the tarragon sprig.
- Mash some of the potatoes to thicken the soup. Add the sausage, finely shredded cabbage or kale and spinach. Add water, if needed.
- Taste and add chopped oregano to taste (about 1 teaspoon fresh, 1/4 teaspoon dried). Heat gently (do not boil) for about 8 to 10 minutes. Serve.
This potato and sausage soup is a perfect meal to share with your family and friends. It’s flavorful and healthy and full of interesting tastes. The combination of fennel and tarragon gives it a unique flavor and sets it apart from other soups. For a lighter version, try using turkey sausage and low salt broth. Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and enjoy!