Rice pudding is a classic dessert found in many cultures around the world. This traditional Persian rice pudding recipe is made with basmati rice, butter, water, sugar, saffron, cardamom and rose water for a rich and creamy dessert. This recipe is freezable, so it’s a great way to make a delicious treat ahead of time that can be enjoyed warm or at room temperature. Serve this delicious rice pudding to your family and friends for a classic dessert that everyone will love.
For 8 people
- 2 cup - Basmati Rice
- 1/2 cup - Unsalted Butter or margarine
- 6 cups - Water
- 4 cup - Sugar
- 1 Tbsp - Powdered Saffron
- 1/2 cup - Water
- 1 1/2 Tsp - Ground Cardamom
- 1/2 cup - Rose Water
- 1/4 cup - Shelled Pistachio Nuts, Chopped
- Rinse the rice by swishing it in a large bowl with abundant water 5 or 6 times until the water is clear.
- In a heavy saucepan, add the rice and butter to the water and bring to a boil. Once the rice is boiling, add the sugar, saffron, and cardamom.
- Reduce the heat and simmer the mixture until the rice is completely broken apart and the pudding is thick like custard, approximately 45 minutes.
- Add the rose water during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Pour the rice pudding into a serving bowl, and when it cools to room temperature, garnish the pudding with a design made from powdered cinnamon and chopped pistachio nuts.
- Serve the pudding warm or at room temperature.
Rice pudding is a classic dessert that is beloved around the world. This traditional Persian rice pudding recipe is an easy and delicious way to enjoy a classic treat. With its rich and creamy texture, this pudding is sure to be a hit at your next gathering. Serve it warm or cold for a delicious dessert that everyone will love.