A classic homemade bread recipe, this potato bread is a door to making incredible tasting bread with simple ingredients. It’s a great way to bring a little joy to dinner time, and the kids will absolutely love it. The bread comes out soft and fluffy, perfect for sandwiches or for a side to soup and salads. With a little extra time and patience, you can make a homemade bread that will last for days.
- 13 oz - Baking potatoes
- 3 tablespoons - Brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1 tablespoon - Yeast
- 4.5 cups - Unbleached white flour (or as needed)
- 3 tablespoons - Butter (melted and cooled)
- 2 teaspoons - Salt
- Scrub potatoes, slice and boil in water until soft. Place potatoes and cooking water in blender container and add water to bring measure to 3 cups. Puree and transfer to large bowl. Stir in brown sugar and cool to lukewarm.
- Sprinkle yeast over and stir to dissolve. Let rest at room temperature for 45 minutes.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the flour and beat vigorously for 3 minutes until air bubbles form. Stir in butter and salt, beat well and gradually add 1 - 1/2 cups of the remaining flour. Let rest for 45 minutes.
- Mound remaining flour on a board, turn dough out and knead in the flour using a steel baker's scraper. Add additional flour as needed to prevent sticking. Knead dough for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into 2 equal portions, knead briefly and form into 2 loaves. Place in 2 oiled loaf pans. Cover with a tea towel and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes or until almost double in size.
- Place pans in oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Bake for 45 minutes or until bread tests done. Turn out onto a wire rack, turn right side up and cool.
This homemade potato bread recipe is one of the best things you could make for dinner. It’s incredibly easy to make, and you’ll have a delicious loaf of bread in no time. Serve warm with butter and honey, or as a side to soup and salads. Enjoy!