If you love making your own bread, this Homemade Olive Oil Bread Dough recipe is a must-try! With ingredients like active dry yeast, sugar, lukewarm water, extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt and bread flour, you can make this simple dough that is the perfect starting point for making homemade bagels, tart or fougasse. The dough can be refrigerated for up to 3 days and makes 1.5 pounds of dough which is perfect for making delicious treats for the whole family!
For 1 people
- 1 teaspoon - Active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon - Sugar
- 1 1/3 cup - Lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons - Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon - Fine sea salt
- 4 cups - Bread flour
- In the bowl of a heavy-duty electric mixer fitted with a dough-hook attachment, combine yeast, sugar, and water, and stir to blend. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the oil and salt. Add the flour, a little at a time, mixing at the lowest speed until most of the flour has been absorbed, and the dough forms a ball.
- Continue to mix at the lowest speed until soft and satiny but still firm, 4 to 5 minutes. Add additional flour, if necessary, to keep the dough from sticking.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator. Let the dough rise in the refrigerator until doubled or tripled in bulk, 8 to 12 hours. The dough can be kept for 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator. Simply punch down the dough as it doubles or triples. Proceed with the individual recipes for bread tart or fougasse.
After you’re done preparing the dough and it has properly risen, you’re ready to make an array of delicious treats like bagels, tart or fougasse! All you need to do is use the dough as indicated by your recipe, shape it as desired and bake in your oven. This Olive Oil Bread Dough is sure to make every day a special one! Enjoy!