This is my favorite aromatic bread. The aroma is wonderful while it is baking and every time I give the bread as a gift, I get asked for the recipe. This is a wonderful sweet bread which is good anytime of the year. It is perfect for any occasion and also won Bob’s Red Mill Baking Contest.
For 1 people
- 5 cups - Bobs Red Mill Unbleached White Flour
- 1 cup - Wheat germ
- 0.5 cup - Rolled oats
- 0.25 cup - Instant non-fat dry milk
- 0.25 cup - Wheat bran
- 5 teaspoons - Active dry yeast (or 2 pkgs)
- 2 tablespoons - Fructose (or 4 Tblsp. sugar)
- 1 teaspoon - Sea salt
- 1.5 teaspoons - Parsley flakes
- 1.5 teaspoons - Oregano
- 1.5 teaspoons - Thyme
- 1.5 teaspoons - Marjoram
- 1.5 teaspoons - Pepper
- 0.25 teaspoon - Sage
- 0.25 teaspoon - Celery seed
- 2.5 cups - Hot water
- 0.25 cup - Canola oil
- 1 - Egg
- 2 tablespoons - Minced onion
- 1 cup - Bobs Red Mill Whole Wheat Flour
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, wheat germ, oats, bran, dry milk, yeast, fructose, sea salt and seasonings; mix thoroughly.
- Add hot water and oil; beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup flour and egg; beat at high speed for 1 minute.
- Stir in onion.
- In a separate bowl, combine 2 cups unbleached white flour and 1 cup whole wheat; stir into dough.
- Place on floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Let stand 20 minutes.
- Punch down. Divide in half and shape into 2 loaves.
- Place in greased 9" x 5" loaf pans.
- Cover and let rise in warm place, free of draft, 1 to 2 hours until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Bake 20 minutes.
This recipe was taken from the back of a package of Bob’s Red Mill Unbleached White Flour – Best for Bread By Hand or Bread Machine Milled from extra high protein US Number 1 dark northern hard red spring wheat. Bob’s Red Mill Natural Foods, 5209 SE International Way, Milwaukie, Oregon (503) 654-3215. Enjoy with your favorite toppings or give it away as a wonderful gift. It is sure to be a hit!