Barbecue sauce can be an amazing way to add flavor and texture to your favorite grilled or smoked dishes. That’s why we created this tasty, healthy, Heart Smart BBQ sauce. This recipe features a combination of margarine, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, honey, dry mustard, chili powder, paprika, black pepper, hot pepper sauce, garlic powder, nutmeg, onion, cornstarch, cold water, cider vinegar, lemon juice and grated lemon rind. All you need to do is combine the ingredients in a saucepan and let it simmer – it’s an easy and delicious way to top your favorite grilled or smoked dishes.
For 1 people
- 1 Tablespoon - Margarine, Soft
- 15 Ounces - Tomato Sauce (pref. low-sodium)
- 2 Tablespoons - Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 Cup - Honey
- 1/2 Teaspoon - Dry Mustard
- 1/2 Teaspoon - Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon - Paprika
- 1/8 Teaspoon - Black Pepper
- 1/8 Teaspoon - Hot Pepper Sauce
- 1/2 Teaspoon - Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon - Nutmeg
- 1/3 Cup - Onion (grated or paste)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons - Cornstarch
- 3 Tablespoons - Cold Water
- 1 Tablespoon - Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon - Lemon Juice
- 1 Teaspoon - Grated Lemon Rind
- In a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, combine margarine, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, honey, dry mustard, chili powder, paprika, black pepper, hot pepper sauce, garlic powder, nutmeg, and onion. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, blend cornstarch with water until lumps have disappeared. Add to the sauce mixture, stirring with a wire whisk until thickened. Add cider vinegar, lemon juice, and lemon rind. Simmer, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes longer.
- This recipe makes 2 1/2 cups of barbecue sauce, enough for basting 5 pounds of chicken breasts. A serving is 2 tablespoons.
This Heart Smart barbecue sauce recipe is a great way to enjoy a classic comfort food while still looking after your health. It is made with real food ingredients and contains no added preservatives. It is a delicious and easy way to add some extra flavor and texture to your favorite grilled or smoked dishes. Enjoy!