These healthy baked doughnuts are a delicious, healthier alternative to the classic fried doughnuts. Filled with nutmeg and applesauce, rolled with a low-fat baking mix and topped with a almond extract glaze, these baked doughnuts take just twenty minutes to make and are the perfect breakfast. With only 159.4 calories per serving, 4.2g of fat, 9.7g of carbs, 0.5g of fiber and 19g of protein, these doughnuts are a guilt-free indulgence you can enjoy any day of the week.
- 3 3/4 cup - Low-fat baking mix
- 1/2 cup - Brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon - Nutmeg
- 1/3 cup - Reduced-calorie margarine
- 1 whole - Egg
- 1/2 cup - Nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup - Applesauce
- 1 teaspoon - Vanilla extract
- 1 cup - Powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon - Almond extract
- 2 tbsps - Skim milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare 2 baking sheets with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine baking mix, brown sugar, and nutmeg. Cut in margarine with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in egg, yogurt, applesauce, and vanilla extract. Stir just until moistened.
- Turn out dough onto a surface lightly sprinkled with additional baking mix.
- Roll to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut with a floured 3 inch biscuit cutter.
- Punch a hole in the center of each doughnut with a floured finger.
- Place on baking sheet and pull dough gently to make about a 1 inch hole, keeping doughnut uniformly shaped.
- Brush tops with milk and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.
- Meanwhile, to prepare glaze, combine powdered sugar, almond extract, and milk.
- Drizzle glaze over doughnuts.
These delicious, healthier baked doughnuts are an indulgent breakfast that won’t leave you feeling guilty. They’re quick and easy to make, filled with warm spices and applesauce, and topped with an almond extract glaze for the perfect sweet finish. Enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea and you’ll be ready for the day.