Making homemade pretzels is a favorite in our house. This sour cream dough pretzel recipe is extremely versatile and can also be used to make coffee cakes, rolls, and even filled with apricot butter, prune butter, or a cinnamon-sugar mixture. The soft, fluffy texture and rich flavor of these pretzels are what makes them so delicious! Follow these easy steps to make your own version of this classic pretzel recipe.
For 20 people
- 1 Env - Yeast
- 0.25 cups - Water - Lukewarm
- 1.5 Sticks - Soft Butter
- 3 - Egg Yolks
- 0.25 cups - Sugar
- 14 Tsp - Salt
- 1 cups - Sour Cream
- 3.5 cups - Flour - Approx
- 2 cups - Apricot Butter - Note 1
- 0.5 - Beaten Egg - To Brush On Tops
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, egg yolks, sugar and salt together, then add the sour cream and the yeast mixture and blend in the flour until you have a dough.
- Now turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until shiny and smooth but still soft.
- Place the dough in a large buttered bowl, cover with a towel and let rise until doubled in bulk. This should take about 1 hour.
- After the dough has doubled in bulk, return it to the work surface and knead for a couple of minutes. Then divide into 2 pieces of equal size.
- With a rolling pin, roll each piece into a rectangle, about 8" wide by 14" long, and spread 1/2 cup apricot butter evenly onto each rectangle.
- Roll up in jelly-roll fashion and place in two small (8" by 4") buttered loaf pans.
- Cover with a towel and let stand in a warm place to rise for about 30 minutes.
- Brush with the beaten egg before placing in the oven.
- Bake in the oven until light brown, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let cool, wrapped in a towel.
Your homemade sour cream dough pretzels are now ready to be enjoyed! These pretzels will stay fresh for about 2 days, though they won’t last that long! Serve them with a cup of tea or coffee and you’ll be sure to impress your guests. The versatile dough can also be used to make coffee cakes, rolls, and filled with a variety of fillings for a unique and delicious treat!