This King Ranch Chicken dish is a great way to enjoy Mexican flavors. It’s a simple yet delicious meal that everyone will love. It only takes a few ingredients to make and you can prepare it in advance and bake it up to an hour before serving. With chicken, corn tortillas, mushrooms, chilies, onion, tomato paste, skim milk, water and low-fat cheddar cheese, you can create an impressive dish that will have everyone asking for seconds.
For 4 people
- 8 tortillas (6 inch) - Corn
- 8 ozs. - Cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons - Flour
- 1 teaspoon - Salt
- 0.5 cups - Canned mushrooms
- 2 cans - Chopped green chilies (4 ozs.)
- 0.25 cups - Onion
- 2 tablespoons - Tomato paste
- 2 cups - Skim milk (minus 2 tablespoons)
- 1 cup - Water
- 4 ozs. - Low fat cheddar cheese
- Tear 8 corn tortillas into strips and dice 8 ozs. of cooked chicken.
- In a saucepan,combine 2 tablespoons of flour, 1 teaspoon of salt, 2 chicken broth cubes and 2 tablespoons of tomato paste.
- Gradually add 2 cups of skim milk until thickened, then remove from heat.
- Stir in 1 cup of water, 0.5 cups of canned mushrooms, 2 cans of chopped green chilies (4 ozs.), 0.25 cups of onion.
- Layer 1/2 of the tortilla strips and chicken in a casserole dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Repeat layer.
- Pour sauce over chicken and tortillas and sprinkle evenly with 4 ozs. of low fat cheddar cheese.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake, covered at 300 degrees for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Your King Ranch Chicken dish is now ready to serve! Enjoy this tasty, Mexican-style meal with family and friends. Serve with a side of Spanish rice or a salad for a complete dinner. You can also make this dish ahead of time for a stress-free dinner party. Enjoy!