Gooseberry Chutney is a delicious and versatile condiment. It is a perfect accompaniment to any meal and can be used in a variety of ways. The tartness of the gooseberries, combined with the sweetness of the sugar, and the warmth of the ginger and cayenne pepper, makes this chutney a must-try. You can also store this chutney in jars and enjoy it in future recipes, as it becomes more flavorful over time.
For 1 people
- 3 lb - Gooseberries
- 1/2 lb - Onions
- 1 lb - Sugar
- 1/2 pint - Water
- 1/2 oz - Salt
- 1 tablespoon - Ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon - Cayenne pepper
- 1 pint - Vinegar
- Start by trimming the stems of the gooseberries and chopping them roughly.
- Finely chop the onions and cook them together with the gooseberries in the water until softened.
- Add the sugar, salt, ground ginger, and cayenne pepper and simmer until the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Once the chutney thickens, bottle it while it's still hot and cover it immediately.
This chutney yields about 4.5 pounds and its flavor becomes more mellow the longer it’s kept. It is a great condiment to have on hand for any meal. Enjoy this delicious chutney with a variety of dishes and recipes for a unique flavor twist!