This Chinese Tangerine Chicken recipe is a delicious and healthy main course, perfect for a dinner party or special occasion. The combination of tangerine, ginger and sesame along with the juicy chicken, makes this a dish everyone will love. The low-fat ingredients create a fragrant and light meal that is packed with flavor. Serve this dish with a side of warm rice and steamed vegetables for a balanced and enjoyable meal.
- 2 tablespoons - Dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon - Grated tangerine or orange rind
- 2 tablespoons - Fresh tangerine or orange juice
- 2 tablespoons - Grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon - Low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon - Honey
- 1 teaspoon - Dark sesame oil
- 5 pounds - Whole roasting chicken
- 8 pieces - Peeled sliced fresh ginger
- 6 tangerines or oranges - Halved crosswise
- 1 tablespoon - All-purpose flour
- 1 cup - Low-salt chicken broth
- 0.25 cup - Dry sherry
- 0.33 cup - Tangerine or orange juice
- Preheat oven to 450 oF.
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Remove the giblets and neck from the chicken and discard. Rinse chicken under cold water and pat dry. Trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers and gently pushing between skin and meat. Spread breadcrumb mixture beneath skin on beast and drumsticks. Place 8 ginger slices and 4 tangerine halves into cavity. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken.
- Place chicken, breast side up, on a broiler pan. Arrange tangerines, cut side up, around chicken. Insert meat thermometer into meaty part of thigh, making sure not to touch bone. Bake at 450 oF for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 oF; bake an additional 1 hour and 30 minutes or until thermometer registers 180 oF. Discard skin.
- Place chicken on a platter and set aside, keeping warm. Pour pan drippings into a zip-top plastic bag. Snip off 1 corner of bag. Drain liquid into a saucepan; stop before fat layer reaches opening. Discard fat.
- Combine flour and broth in a small bowl and stir with a whisk. Add to pan drippings. Stir in sherry and juice. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly with a whisk. Serve with chicken.
Chinese Tangerine Chicken has the perfect balance of sweet and savory flavors. The combination of tangerine, ginger and sesame all add a unique depth to the dish. Serve this with a side of steamed vegetables or warm rice for a delicious and healthy meal. Don’t forget to save some of the gravy to go on top of your plate!