Indulge in this delicious Chocolate Chip and Espresso Cake! This easy to make recipe is made with whole wheat pastry flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, dark brown sugar, applesauce, milk, nonfat dry milk, espresso powder, egg, and mini-chocolate chips. It is sure to be the hit of any event and can be served with a cup of coffee for a truly decadent treat!
- 1 cup - Whole wheat pastry flour
- 0.5 cup - Dutch-process cocao powder
- 0.5 teaspoon - Baking powder
- 0.5 teaspoon - Baking soda
- 0.125 teaspoon - Salt
- 0.75 cup - Packed dark brown sugar
- 0.5 cup - Unsweetened applesauce
- 0.33 cup - 1% milk
- 0.25 cup - Instant nonfat dry milk
- 1 teaspoon - Instant espresso powder
- 1 large - Egg
- 1 teaspoon - Vanilla extract
- 0.33 - Semisweet mini-chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F and lightly spray an 8" x 8" nonstick baking dish with oil.
- Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Using a handheld electric mixer set at high speed, beat together the brown sugar, applesauce, 1% milk, nonfat dry milk, espresso powder, egg, and vanilla extract until frothy.
- Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the milk mixture. Stir until just moistened and add the chocolate chips. Do not overmix.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before inverting onto a wire rack.
- Serve with a cup of coffee for a decadent treat.
Delicious and easy to make, this Chocolate Chip and Espresso Cake is the perfect dessert to serve at any event. It is sure to be loved by all, and can be served with a cup of coffee for a truly decadent treat! Enjoy!