Chicken Jambalaya is a classic Creole dish that is full of flavor, color, and texture. You will love the combination of chicken, bacon, onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, and okra simmered in a tomato-based broth along with long-grain rice. This is a wonderful family-friendly recipe that can be served as a main course or side dish.
- 1 tablespoon - Olive oil
- 6 cloves - Garlic (minced)
- 1 large - Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 - Green bell pepper (diced)
- 2 ounces - Canadian bacon (coarsely chopped)
- 1 cup - Reduced sodium chicken broth (defatted)
- 1.33 cups - Long-grain rice
- 1 cup - Dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon - Dried rosemary
- 0.5 teaspoon - Salt
- 0.25 teaspoon - Allspice
- 1 pound - Skinless boneless chicken thighs (cut into 1 1/2" chunks)
- 1 pound - Plum tomatoes (coarsely chopped - about 4)
- 1 package - Frozen okra (10 ounce - thawed)
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil until hot but not smoking, over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the bell pepper, bacon, and 1/4 cup of the broth and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pepper has softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, stirring to coat. Add the wine and cook until most of the wine has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining broth, the rosemary, salt, allspice, and 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken, tomatoes, and okra. Return to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender, about 5 minutes longer. Spoon the jambalaya onto 4 plates and serve.
This delicious Chicken Jambalaya is a great one-pot meal full of flavor and texture. The combination of chicken, bacon, onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, and okra simmered in a tomato-based broth along with long-grain rice makes this a wonderful family-friendly dish that can be served as a main course or side dish. Enjoy this classic Creole dish for a comforting and delicious meal!