Candied yams are a classic side dish that is perfect for any occasion. Sweet potatoes are simmered, peeled, and layered in a baking dish and coated with a sugar syrup. This recipe is not only delicious, but it is also low-fat and vegan, making it a great choice for healthy eaters.
- 6 med - Sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup - Firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup - Water
- 1 Tbsp - Grated lemon rind
- 2 Tbsp - Fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tsp - Ground cinnamon
- 2 Tsp - Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place potatoes in a large Dutch oven, and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 min. Drain; let cool.
- Peel and slice potatoes. Layer slices in a 13x9" baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Combine sugar and next 5 ingredients; stir well. Drizzle syrup over potatoes.
- Cover and bake at 350F for 40 min or until tender. Spoon syrup over potatoes before serving.
This sweet and savory dish will be loved by everyone. Whether you serve it as a side dish or as a dessert, this recipe for Candied Yams will be a hit! Enjoy every bite of this delicious and healthy recipe!