Do you ever find yourself throwing away the peels of oranges or grapefruit? Don’t waste them! Instead, turn them into something sweet and delicious with this recipe for Candied Orange or Grapefruit Peel! Candied peel is a luxurious snack that can add a lovely, elegant touch when used to garnish cakes and tarts. Preparing the candied peel can take a bit of time, but the results are well worth it!
For 1 people
- 0.5 cup - Sugar
- 0.25 cup - Water
- Orange peel
- Cut peel into strips and bring to a boil in plenty of water 5 times, pouring off the water and starting fresh each time. This process will help to reduce the bitterness of the peel.
- Measure the peel and for each cup add: 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water.
- Boil the peel in the syrup until it is dry.
- Roll each strip in granulated sugar and place on a cookie sheet to dry.
- Once the peel is completely dry, store it in an airtight container to prevent it from drying out.
Making candied orange or grapefruit peel is an easy way to transform something that would otherwise be thrown away into a delicious sweet treat. Whether you eat it as a snack or use it to garnish cakes and tarts, candied peel is sure to please! Enjoy!